A chance to grow
Averagely, most of these children in the rural communities are sent to farm after school or sent to do labour work to help support their families. Majority of these children have only one or two meals a day, which mostly contains carbohydrates. This also causes a high degree of malnourishment and affects their learning ability. Drive Aid is seeking to fight malnutrition as well as hunger, these two problems combined causes “stunting” in most African children, stunting not only in their physical development but also intellectually – which explains why most of these African children in rural communities are not able to make it to higher level of education and break out of the cycle of poverty.
We have a vast land to develop our sustainable approach to these problems through farming.
Moringa is a great source of vitamins and minerals to help eradicate malnutrition, but Moringa alone cannot feed these children every day. We are implementing cross culture farming in all our Moringa farms by introducing the production of other crops such as Yam, Maize, Beans, Tomatoes, Paper, groundnut and okra in a rotation and seasonal basis. The benefit of producing such a system is that whiles we are able to grow Moringa for its short term benefits (as food for the children) and long term benefits (production of oil and powder) we can integrate these other crops which will achieve the following benefits:
1. Provide feeding for the children in the after school program.
2. Excess food is sold to purchase educational materials to sustain the educational project.
3. Excess food is sold to support students who graduate from our education projects and want to further in their studies in a formal school or get higher/vocational training.
4. Students who do not or cannot afford to go higher or are unemployed can help on the farm to sustain and support themselves.
5. For students who want to produce their own farms, we can support with startup capital/seedlings and eliminate the cost of buying seedling on their own.
Our desire is to make Drive Aid Ghana projects sustainable and have a longer impact without dependence on external donations. Your contribution now will help us achieve this goal